Water Protectors of Milwaukee and Human Equality Love Project are hosting an 20 hour street medic training in Milwaukee Friday, April 6th – Sunday, April 8th.
Medic Training Includes:
This 20-hour training covers basic first aid skills and prepares you to help others stay safe and healthy at protests. It will also prepare you to meet health needs as part of a team in your organization, in your community, or as a member of Forward Action Medics, so that activists and communities can stay well and stay in the streets.
This training is rooted in street medics’ history of sharing first aid skills as a form of self-defense for our communities. It focuses on situational awareness and on issues that are common at protests including weather, delays in accessing medical care, and police violence. This training does not cover CPR.
- Friday April 6th, 6pm-10pm
- Saturday April 7th, 9am-6pm
- Sunday April 8th, 9am-6pm
Training Location: Escuela Verde School, Milwaukee Wi – View Map
Accessibility: This training space is wheelchair accessible. The cost of this training is also being offered on a sliding scale. However, NO one will be turned away for lack of funds. RSVP HERE
This street medic training will prepare you to help other’s stay safe and healthy during direct actions. Participants will learn
- How to establish safety with preparedness and prevention.
- Maintain safety with ethical, dependable care
- Establish safety for sick or injured people
- How to provide first aid and education to injured people until they recover or reach higher care
- How to rehumanize situations after brutality and burnout so that communities feel safe again
We will also train street medics to have a base of knowledge and first aid skills. This will teach attendees to know their strengths/limits and know when to seek further help.
Topics included in this training:
- Street Medic Principles
- Scene Survey
- Initial and Secondary Assessment
- Illness, Injury and Trauma Care
- Environmental Health
- Herbal First Aid and Aftercare
We are excited and blessed to have a few trainers from North Star Health Collective as our leads for this training.
Cost of Training:
No one will be turned away for lack of funds, but it takes a lot to organize a 3-day training. We are asking folks to contribute $20-$150 depending on your resources. Reserve your spot by HERE.
Can’t make the event but want to support the cause? You can make donations HERE. Any and all contributions are appreciated and do not go unnoticed.